Skip to content
- Title and commencement.-
- These rules may be called the Karnataka Mental Health Rules, 2012.
- They shall come into force from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
- In these rules unless the context otherwise requires,
- ‘Act’ means the Mental Health Act, 1987 (Central Act 14 of 1987);
- ‘Applicant’ means the person who makes an application to the licensing Authority for grant of a license;
- Authority’ means the Karnataka
- "Chairman" means the Chairman nomin
- "Clinical Psychologist" means a Mental Health Professional with qualification of a Post Graduate degree in psychology from
a university established by Law with M.Phil institution.
- “Convalescent Home” means a part of the hospital or an institution or a unit or section of the institution established or;
maintained by the Government or any other person for such mentally ill persons in the form of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Homes,
Psychiatric Day Care Home or other Partial Hospitalization Units, and Long Term Care Homes or Units and includes,-
- Residential Half Way Homes’ means residential facility for patients with mental disorders who do not
require full hospitalisation but are not well enough to function in the community without adequate professional supervision and support.
- ‘Quarter way home means residential facility for mentally ill who are functional enough to be able to hold a job.
‘Long stay homes’ means the places where mentally ill patients stay for a flexible period of time and
receive psychiatric care and rehabilitation.
‘Vocational Training Centre’ means the centre for the mentally ill. These centres are expected to achieve the
objective of moving the disabled persons towards economic independence.
‘Sheltered Work Shop’ means the centres for the mentally ill, which are job oriented centres to achieve the
objective of moving the mentally ill persons towards economic independence. [They must be self sustaining and are
meant for income generation. Marketing the products/ services of the centres is a necessary feature].
‘Day Care Centre’ means a place where persons with mental disorders who do not require hospitalization or
residential care are provided psycho social rehabilitation services by qualified or trained personnel during daytime.
- De -addiction facility’ means a place where persons diagnosed to have dependence on alcohol and other drugs are treated
and cared for
- ‘Form’ means Form appended to these rules;
- ‘Inpatient facility for psychiatric patients in a general hospital or general nursing home’ means a general hospital or nursing
home established or maintained by anybody other than the government, which provides also for psychiatric services;
- Member’ means a member of the authority appointed under rule 3;
- ‘Membership’ means membership of the authority established under section 4 of the Act;
- Mental health institute or nursing home’ means a hospital or a nursing home as may be established or maintained by the
Government or any other person for treatment and care of mentally ill persons;
- ‘Mental Health Professional’ means professionals trained in Psychiatry, psychology, psychiatric social ‘work, psychiatric
nursing or occupational therapy from a recognized centre;
- ‘Non-official member’ means a member appointed under sub-rule (2) of rule (3);
- ‘Official member’ means a member appointed under sub-rule (1) of rule 3;
- ‘Occupational Therapist’ means professionals trained in vocational training, occupational guidance and related skills by the
recognised training centres;
- ‘Psychologist’ means a person trained in clinical psychology at the level of Post graduation studies from a University
established by law;
- “Psychiatric Nurse” means a qualified nurse with certificate in General Nursing or Diploma in psychiatric nursing or BSc in
psychiatric nursing after a regular course recognized by Nursing Council Of India;
- “Psychiatric Social Worker” means a mental health professional assistant with Master degree in Social Work from a
university established by Law with M.Phil or Ph.D in Psychiatric Social Work acquired after a two- year course from an accredited
- “Social Worker” means a postgraduate from a university established by Law in a social work with training in medical and
psychiatric social work;
- “Secretary ” means secretary of the authority appointed under rule13;
- All other words and expressions used in these rules but not defined shall have the same meaning assigned to them in the